Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Our First Broken Bone ... August 26, 2011

 Poor little Austynn didn't have the best of days on Friday! She woke up crying bc she had fallen out of her bed after nap time (her rail fell off, too). So, she was a bit tired and out of sorts when Grandpa and Mimi got here on Friday. She was waking up, though, and we were getting dinner ready when she and Carson were wrestling around on the floor a bit. I heard a boom and thought she must have fallen from the couch and hit her head, but she didn't. Just rolled off Carson wrong. She was very much unlike herself, though, and would not stop crying. I thought it had to do w being tired and having a lot going on. I finally got her in her chair for dinner. She wouldn't eat - not chips or gummies. I held her a bit and then talked to her. I didn't know what the cause was! After dinner, she stayed with me to clean up - Carson went for a bike ride with Mimi and Paislee went to get the closet stuff with Grandpa and dad. I thought she was getting better as she ate a bit and sat on the counter by me. When I got her down, though, I could tell she was in a lot of pain and something had to be wrong. She complained of her neck and I saw a small bump. I had asked Mitch about it, but we thought we would just watch it. She slept by us and crashed right away! She woke up, though, at 11:30p and the bump was more swollen. So, Mitch and I knew something must be wrong and we were all ready to go to the ED. I thought maybe I would call the on call MD first, just to see if it would be ok to wait until the morning, so we didn't have to wake Pais up. He said that would be fine. I love all the after-hour options that the doctors offer! We got right in, got x-rayed, and clearly saw that she broke her clavicle right in two! Poor baby!!
This is her after we got back from the MD, ready for lunch. Now, I am not sure that she remembered she was hurt here, as she is raising her left arm quite a bit in this "funny" Austynn pic :)
 You can clearly see the break!
 Mimi got these shots of her with her little brace on - you can see here that she quickly learned to hold her left arm in by her side! She keeps it like this most all the time!

We go see an orthopedic MD tomorrow, just to be sure we do not need to do anything else for it. 
Mitch called Mike bragging that his kid was the first to break a bone - silly boy! Mitch broke his nose, wrist, and arm and had many a trip to the ED in his day! Austynn has said a few times "I was the 1st to break a bone!". It is pretty cute!

1 comment:

  1. Poor Austy! Tell her we love her! The girls are glad it will be all healed up by the time we come in Oct! They were worried about it! Love, Stace

    ReplyDelete