I feel truly blessed and honored to have had the opportunity to call Alma Rutherford my Grandma. I have so many great memories of her, and I will truly miss her. Growing up in Oregon, I absolutely loved our trips to Colorado to visit her and Grandpa. I still remember the anticipation build as we turned off of I-25 and started heading east on I-34. When we reached Greeley, Mike and I would ask to get out of the car a block or so before their house so that we could run to the door and surprise them. The time we spent with them was always so much fun. Apparently, though, I sometimes had too much “fun” at Grandma’s house. I hold the key distinction of being the only grandkid to be “sat on” by Grandma while under her supervision because she did not want to spank us. And she loved to threaten me with this form of “punishment” even after I was grown up. I also remember that I always wanted to exercise Grandma’s polio-stricken hand for her. I would bend her fingers as far as they would go in hopes of helping her regain movement in it. Of course, my attempts did not work, but I am confident that she could do more with that hand than most people can do with a normal one; she was completely amazing with it. Another thing that I will miss is the way Grandma answered the phone. She had the most unique way of saying “hello” that, as a kid, I just assumed she was saying “hi” in some foreign language. I will miss my phone conversations with her for sure. My wife, Cristin, and I lived in Colorado for about three years while I went to grad school at the University of Denver. Cristin worked in Greeley for part of that time, so we stayed with Grandma quite frequently. I am so thankful for that time because it gave Cristin the opportunity to really get to know this incredible woman that was my Grandma. We loved our times with her. As Cristin and I set out to raise our own family now, we have to look no further than my Grandma and Grandpa for an awesome example of how to live Christ-centered lives and how to correctly view this life and world. I know they touched so many people’s lives by the way in which they conducted their own lives. I love you, Grandma, and look forward to seeing you and Grandpa again. Oh, by the way, Grandma, will you please find out what the matter is with Grandpa? I figured by now he would have had a talk with Jesus and the Broncos would have a few more Super Bowl rings!
Classic Mitch! Great post, so touch and funny, at the same time. I am sure Grandma is smiling down from Heaven having heard this. Love you all up in Eugene!
ReplyDelete