We are very thankful for our time in Medford over Thanksgiving. This was the first time the kids and I had seen Lu, since they decided he would be on hospice. {Mitch went down the week prior, the day that Lu and Karen decided to do hospice. He sent me a text that read, "Thanks for letting me come down. That may have just been the best hug I ever received from my dad." Mitch surprised them - he arrived at the hospital as his dad was being wheeled out to get a CT scan.} I was nervous as we drove down, as I was not sure just how sick Lu would look. It really worked out nice that we arrived on Wednesday night. We were able to put kids down and then give Lu hugs and talk to him. He discussed his situation with us that evening, and said he did not quite feel he was ready to go.
Most of Thanksgiving he was very sick. He always carved the turkeys. Mitch planned on doing it, w Lu's help. However, when Lu made it to the turkey, he carved it all, with Mitch's help :)- He laid back down for the rest of the day, until the evening. We had a great evening with him after the kids were in bed and really had a thorough discussion.
On Friday Tim Teterud came over to help entertain the kids, as Mitch and I tried to take care of some details for Lu. The Teterud's were amazing and watched our kids until 5:30pm on Friday! We had to have Lu and Karen to finish all we needed to. Lu was a trooper and drove around for a few hours with us and got out a couple of times. It was a big day of errands, only to be completed by me giving him a hair cut. I felt so bad, having him sit in such a hard chair, as I am no speedy beautician (well, I am not really any beautician :)). He mentioned that having his hair cut didn't really matter anyway. And later said, in typical Lu humor, "I have been dieing to have a hair cut like this!" He was so open and honest about the impending death. I asked him what it felt like. He mentioned going by things and thinking you may never see them again. He was on a lot of medicine at the end and the cancer was in the brain the last few weeks. As I cut his hair he said "Oh, just got back from a hallucination." I was so thankful for his honesty. We were grateful to have the chance to thank him for his legacy and tell him how we loved and appreciated him.
On Saturday, it seemed he had taken another turn for the worse. He seemed to need oxygen right away, so Karen and Mitch got that figured out for him. One time, while Mitch was helping Karen get some Christmas lights put up, Lu needed to go to the restroom, so I tried to help. When he got in the bathroom, he said "I guess it is time for the show-all reveal" Cracked me up! I said, no, I will just shut the door for you :)-
Leaving Saturday afternoon was hard. He hugged each of the kids SOOOO tightly. I gave him a couple hugs and a kiss. For some reason, I really felt like I would see him one more time. Then we allowed Mitch to have some time. So sad and heartbreaking! Nothing ever prepares your heart for death! Seeing Mitch sit and ball on the garage step was not easy.
Still playing with the "bambinos" :)
Goldy Locks and the 3 bears :)
(taken by Lu, while Mitch and I were running errands!)
(taken by Lu, while Mitch and I were running errands!)
Friday the 23rd, one week before Lu went to be with Jesus.


No comments:
Post a Comment