Friday, November 30, 2012

November 24th - 30th, 2012

Sunday the 25th was similar to Saturday. On Monday Lu had a pain pump hooked to his port, to receive his meds. On Tuesday he was able to eat breakfast. At the lunch table on Tuesday, Karen said he put his head down and said he thought he was going home. Karen took him back to his chair. He requested she read Psalm 100 (I believe), as this is what she read on Thanksgiving day, at the table. Karen was surprised he remembered. She read that and other scripture to him. They also sang hymns together. They were blessed by the Lord with a meaningful afternoon! On Wednesday, Karen said she was able to bathe him and helped him shave. Don't think he ate or talked too much this day. He did have a catheter put in. Mitch headed down Thursday morning to be with Karen. Lu didn't get out of bed on Thursday. Mitch said when he got there he just laid his head on his dad, talked to him, and cried. Lu was not able to speak, but rubbed his head with his hand! I believe Lu had a very restless night. Around 3am, Karen got Mitch, as she wasn't sure what to do. They called the hospice RN, who came at 5:30 am on Friday. Lu passed away at 6:30. Mitch was on the couch, Karen doing her devotional, when Mitch couldn't hear the sound Lu's breathing was making, any more. When he went in, his dad was no longer suffering. Oh, heartbreaking, but we can be joyous, as we know he is in Heaven and no longer suffering. They called the hospice RN again, who called the necessary people. The people from the funeral home came to get his body. Thankfully, they were very respectful! However, Mitch got a kick out of the fact that they put the body in the back of a minivan, instead of a nice Hurst. We figured Lu would not have minded at all, as long as it was cheaper ;)

It was hard for me, personally, to not be with Mitch. However, 3 kids do not make being helpful very easy. Thankfully, my parents came and got the kids, so I could head down to Medford for the weekend. Felt good to get there and be by my husband!

We I knew that dad and mom were coming to pick the kids up, I kept Carson home from school and told both he and Austynn (Pais was still asleep) about Grandpa. They reacted as we probably all should. They clapped and were happy. Saying "Yay, Grandpa is in Heaven!" We had been discussing dieing, Heaven, Grandpa being sick a lot - trying to prepare us all, I think. On Thursday, when Mitch had headed to Medford, I ask them each about how they felt, seeing Grandpa sick the last weekend. Austynn said he looked different. I tried to explain that the cancer was in his brain and all over his body. That he did look different, and that the cancer was what would he would die from. That he would have a new body and not hurt any more in Heaven! When I asked Carson about Grandpa, he didn't seem to think anything different of Grandpa, but wanted to be with daddy in Medford with Grandpa and Mimi!

No comments:

Post a Comment