Saturday, October 8, 2011

Apples Galore!!! 10.1,2.2011

I found this saying so fitting as both Carson and Austynn said that their dad was their "best friend" yesterday! 
I really love this shot of my boys, too, and just might have to frame it!
Last Saturday we headed out to pick apples - what Carson has really wanted to do! We went out Hwy 58 to the quaint little farm where we picked apples last year only to be told that we could not pick this year! Such a contrast to the very nice lady that was running it last year. So, we left, with Carson in tears. We really were not sure where to go, so I thought I would give my grandma a call as she knows most all things Eugene! She did! She told us of one option, and then called back after she saw a u-pick ad in the paper for Detering Farm. It was fantabulous :) It was really busy, though, w lots of kids and families, so I had to get used to that, as I was thinking a quiet little place. They had music, face painting, tractor rides, free cider, a maze - lots of stuff. Maybe we will go back to take advantage of it, but we just wanted to pick apples on Saturday. The kids did get balloons, from Barney, and some free cider before we headed out to pick :)
 Carson was ready to go!
 Do you think that Paislee would consider being carried or NOT having her own bucket?
 Didn't take too long for her to fall on her balloon and pop it, but she would still carry it as she walked :)
 She was a juicy mess after eating 1/2 this apple! We filled 2.5 buckets when we came on this row of the most amazing apples! Mitch was sweet and went to get more buckets and the car! I can become very over zealous when it comes to fruit and veggies!


 We ended up with over 100lbs of apples! We made 8.5 gallons of applesauce, 10 jam containers of apple butter, 5 pie fillings, and some yummy apples left to eat! I think we have just 5 apples left. The kids and Mitch have been enjoying the applesauce and I like the applebutter with my almond butter! Yum!
After we purchased the apples there was this lady that looked at me like I was crazy and asked me if I was REALLY going to peel all those apples? I said no! We just cored them, cooked them, and blended them!
 Here we are - starting our applesauce making adventure! I had made it through 1/2 a box of apples and had TONS of applesauce and no containers - it was in bowls all over. I thought that I had really done myself in at this point! Mitch and Austynn went to the store and got us some containers - gallon sized, so that saved a lot of space! Then on Sunday Mitch borrowed g/g's van and trailer and brought us home a freezer!!! YEAH! I have been wanting a freezer, so I was thrilled.
 We made a lot on Saturday, but did not get through them all. I think we stopped at 1030 or 1100p. After naps on Sunday we worked on them some more. After naps, the kids did a caterpillar craft while I worked in the kitchen. Crafts are pretty easy when ideas are given to you! :) I love it and the kids do, too.
 Austynn did not want the wiggle eyes on her's - she does not like them at all :)
 The kids helped me with the pie fillings after they finished their caterpillars. This is Carson's first time peeling. So great for them to focus on something. I will have to get "extras" of kitchen items, so they can all help!
 I had to snap this picture - I tried to be quiet about it, but Pais doesn't miss much - the kids played so amazing together on Sunday!! Just all on their own. I had to go check to see what was going on, as they were all together and very quiet! Wow. Amazing!! Carson and Austynn are really doing well together now. So fun to see. They communicate pretty well and we love listening to their conversations!

1 comment:

  1. What FUN!!! Ya'll have sparked me to want to go pick apples!! Hard to think about down here when it's so muggy and "not fall" weather, but I always loved doing it on the East Coast. Loved all the pictures and so glad ya'll had a great time! Love your crafts and board, too! Nice job! :) Stace

    ReplyDelete